We are pleased to announce the 2021 Essay and Art Contest!
Good luck to all the participants!
Consistent with Left Hand Watershed Center’s mission of protecting and restoring watersheds in a collaborative and scientific nature, the Essay and Art Competition aims to: (1) promote watershed health awareness, (2) bring students from various backgrounds together in a healthy competitive environment, and (3) inspire students to be informed of issues affecting their communities.
Contest is open to public, private, and home-schooled students in K-12th grade. Only one entry per person, please. The first 100 participants will receive a Lyons Dairy Bar gift card, free forest health sticker, and acknowledgement on Left Hand Watershed Center and affiliate websites/social media outlets.
- Draw scenes or compose an essay depicting your interpretation of a healthy forest ecosystem and future conditions you’d like to see.
- Students can get help from teachers, parents, and/or community members, but the content submitted must be using the student’s words, thoughts, and craft.
Watershed Center’s Desired Future Conditions documentation
Nature Conservancy visuals
Submit your entries HERE. All entries must be received by May 30th to qualify.
*By entering, you acknowledge that your submission may be published by Left Hand Watershed Center and its affiliates.
Please follow our Instagram account @watershed.center to stay up to date with contest announcements. Spread the word! Post and tag us in your own social media accounts using #healthyforests!
- Art submissions will be limited to one composition per entry.
- Art recommendations:
- creativity of theme expression and representation of desired future conditions of our forests
- artistic medium of your choice
- A scanned document or photo of artwork qualifies for submission or arrangements can be made for entries to be hand-delivered.
- Essays will be limited to and not exceed one page in length (typed or written legibly)
- Essay recommendations:
- clarity, content, grammar and theme development based on the age of the writer
- adherence to standard English grammar rules
- use of research sources as it pertains to the topic(s) referenced in the essay