- This event has passed.
Science and Practice of Building Boulder County’s Fire Resilient Future: Cal-Wood Field Trip, Documentary Screening, and Panel Discussion
September 14 @ 3:00 pm - 6:30 pmFree
About this event
Monday, September 13th, 8:45 – 11:30 \ Field Trip to Cal-Wood Education Center | Location: Cal-Wood Education Center (in-person)
Executive Director since 1999, Rafael Salgado and Natural Resource Manager Angie Busby will share their experience of the wildfire at Cal-Wood and show us their efforts to care for their land. Experts from the Left Hand Watershed Center, and the Colorado Forest Restoration Institute will join us.
Tuesday, September 14th, 3:00 – 6:30 \ Documentary Screening, Presentations, and Panel Discussion | Location: Zoom
- 3:00pm “The West is Burning” documentary screening
- “The West is Burning” examines the history of forest management and the urgent need to act now to protect forest, rivers, and communities in the face of catastrophic wildfire.
- Film Intro: Greg Aplet, Ph.D. Senior Science Advisor, Wilderness Society
- Two viewing options:
- We welcome you to watch the film on your own time via “The West is Burning” website.
- You can also watch it with us on Tuesday by connecting via Zoom. Note: The same link will be utilized for the movie (3:00pm) and panel discussions (4:30 – 6:30).
- The film is intense. We will have 10 minutes to debrief before the start of the second part of the afternoon.
- 4:30pm-6:30pm Building Boulder County’s Fire Resilient Future via Zoom
- Joe Neguse, U.S. Representative for Colorado’s 2nd Congressional District and
- Matt Jones, Boulder County Commissioner, District 3
- Panel Discussion (Facilitated by Jessie Olson, Left Hand Watershed Center)
- Panelists include:
- Sean Cronin, Executive Director, St. Vrain and Left Hand Water Conservancy District
- Angela Gee, USDA Forest Service, Arapaho Roosevelt National Forest, Boulder Ranger District, District Ranger
- Chris O’Brien, Fire Chief, Left Hand Fire District
- Sally Collins, former USDA Forest Service Associate Chief, landowner in Allenspark, member of the St. Vrain Forest Health Partnership
- Tony Cheng, Professor of Forest and Rangeland Stewardship and Director of Colorado Forest Restoration Institute at Colorado State University
- Panelists include:
- Observations about the Boulder County 2020 Fires Relief Fund and Call to Action, by Lisa Moreno, VP of Programs, Community Foundation Boulder County
- Small group discussions with local experts from:
- Left Hand Watershed Center, Natural Resource Conservation Service, Boulder Valley and Longmont Conservation District, State Forest Service, City of Longmont, Boulder Wildfire Partners, Boulder County Parks and Open Space, Boulder Watershed Collective, Colorado Forest Restoration Institute, and Members of St. Vrain Forest Health Partnership